Committed to excellence, by developing the youth THROUGH TECHNICAL EDUCATION and values to transform them into fully integrated human persons who are dedicated to the service of Society, country and fellowmen.
As a learning institution, it provides basic technical secondary education that:
1) Assists students in the harmonious development of their physical, emotional, social, aesthetic and moral endowments.
2) Endeavors to develop the character of the students, to become upright citizens imbued with authentic Filipino values.
c. develops the basic technical skills of the youth to prepare them to active participants in the technological and socio-economic development effort of the country.
Mrs A.V.N. College has the unique distinction of being one of the select few colleges serving admirably the educational and cultural needs of South India in general and Andhra Pradesh in particular. Very few colleges in our country can boast of having produced a richer and more variegated alumni than this 140 year old institution. The first and foremost Nobel Laureate Sir C.V. Raman passed out of this institution. Sir C.V.Raman's bronze bust was installed on the 4th of April, 1991 and unveiled by Sri V.P.Rama Rao, IAS, Former Chief Secretary.
Other distinguished students were Sonthi Ramamurthi, ICS, Sri B.S. Sarma, Member of Viceroy's Executive Council in the twenties, Sri Vepa Ramesam, High Court Judge, Madras, Padma Bhushan Dwaram Venkata Swami Naidu, Sri Tenneti Viswanadham, Prof. B. Rama Chandra Rao, Ex-Vice Chairman, UGC, Sri S.V. Rangarow, Alluri Seetharama Raju, Dr M. Gopala Krishna Reddy, Former Vice-Chancellor, Andhra University, Padma Vibhushan Prof. C.R. Rao.
Founded in 1860 as a school, this premier institution grew with the support of the public especially the zamindars of that time. It gained status of a High School in 1886 with a European Head master, Mr E. Winckler, who became the Principal in 1878 when it was elevated to the status of a college named Hindu College. Other Principals who succeeded him were Messers H.H. Anderson, R.S. Sheppard, W. Ramaiah, P.T. Srinivasa Iyengar were responsible for high standing of the College. But the financial position was unsatisfactory. Here, providence played its benign hand and the fortunes of the college changed for the better when in 1892, Ankitam Vekata Narsinga Row, a celebrated and munificent landlord endowed a handsome amount of Rs one lakh, 11 acre site and a huge building, besides a building grant of Rs 15,000 in memory of his beloved wife. The College thus came to be known by her name Mrs. A.V.N. College ever since.
Sri. Ankitam Venkata Narasinga Row
In general, the Ankitam family spared no pains and with dedication and commitment served this institution to make it a luminous temple of learning a right place to produce a galaxy of luminaries. Under the able leadership of Late Shri A.V. Bhanoji Row, a well known member of the Legislative Assembly of the Composite Madras State and Chairman of the Municipal Council that the institution scaled unimaginable heights. His son, Late Shri A.V.N. Jagga Row, was the Vice-Chairman and was later appointed as Correspondent of the college with approval of the Government from 21st of July, 1982.
Sri. Ankitam Venkata Narasinga Row
He was a chip off the old block, in its truest sense and furthered the activities and strove hard for the all-round betterment of this great institution in different spheres of activities pertinent to the students as well as the teachers.
Ms. Indrani Jagga Row, Vice-Chairperson appointed as Correspondent of the college from the 1st of December, 1993 took the reigns of administration and proved her mettle in doing yeomen service to this institution. She made a holy beginning of her laudable activities with the consecration of Lord Shiva in the temple constructed by Shri A.V.N. Jagga Row within the College premises.
The College has been achieving remarkable progress. It was started with a strength of 50 in 1878. During 1938, the institution celebrated its Diamond Jubilee. In the year 1938-39, the strength of the College was 227 and of the High School was 732.
Sri. Ankitam Venkata Narasinga Row
Sri. A.V.N. Jagga Row
In the year 1960, the institution celebrated its centenary with pomp and glory. In the beginning, the college had very few subject combinations at the Intermediate level but at present the college has all essential combinations of subjects both at Intermediate and Degree levels. In B.Sc., the college has introduced restructured courses like Bio-Chemistry, Fisheries, Electronics, Computer Science and Statistics. Every year, the College produces eminent students bagging top ranks in IIT, EAMCET, EDCET, AUCET, LAWCET, Civil Services and the University examinations.s
Ms. Indrani Jagga Row
The College is also contributing to the development of co-curricular activities such as NCC and NSS. There are many occasions when the college students excelled their counter parts in youth festivals and won laurels. Mrs A.V.N. College, the premier and century old institution has installed the Bronze bust of Sri A.V. Narsinga Row, the founder of the College in December, 1993 during the Founder's Day celebrations and paid tributes to its Founder, whose magnificent, matchless donations and broad vision were responsible for the establishment of this institution which has produced and is still producing eminent citizens in all walks of life.
This College has obtained permission from Andhra Pradesh State Council for Higher Education, Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad to introduce B.Sc (Bio-Technology, Bio-Chemistry, Chemistry), B.Com (Vocational), B.A. (Maths, Economics, Statistics) in the academic year 2002-2003 and B.Sc, Maths, Electronics and Computer Science during this academic year 2003-2004.
The College received the required permission to start M.Com in academic year 2002-2003 and M.Sc Applied Mathematics during the academic year 2003-2004. The present Correspondent Smt A. Indrani Jaggarow's untiring efforts and motivation is behind the all-round development of this institution.
Mrs A.V.N. College was founded in the year 1860 in the form of a school. This premier institution was nurtured with the support of the Public especially with the zamindars of the time. It became a High School in 1886 with a European Head Master, Mr. E. Winckler who later became the Principal of the College, which started to be known as Hindu College in the year 1878. Mr E. Winckler was succeeded by many illustrious Principals who dedicated their services for Mrs A.V.N. College.
The alumni of the Mrs AVN College is vast, illustrious and increasing in strength by each passing year. While many old students have already made a mark in their lives, the younger alumni stands to draw inspiration from their senior's achievements and exemplary lives. This is an ongoing trend and the Alma Mater of the Mrs AVN College gets enriched with its growing strength. To keep track of the ongoings in the College and to remain updated about the various happenings in College, the Alumni Association of the Mrs AVN College invites all the old students to register themselves and reunite with the Mrs AVN College family.
The varied range of students who tread on the Mrs AVN College campus, have outshone students from any other part of the country. Sir C.V. Raman went on to receive the Nobel Prize.